About

Our History

Our History

Founded in 1903, Branksome Hall is an independent school for girls. Today, the school rests on a 13-acre campus in the Toronto neighbourhood of Rosedale and educates nearly 900 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12.
 
The school was founded by Miss Margaret Scott, who served as our first principal from 1903 to 1910. Branksome Hall was originally located in rental property at 102 Bloor Street East, with an enrolment of 70 girls. Seven years later, that property was purchased by the province and Branksome relocated to 592 Sherbourne Street.
 
In 1912, the school purchased Hollydene, the elegant property at 10 Elm Avenue. The house, built in 1880, was purchased for the then princely sum of $48,000. Included in the deal was a coach house, which soon contained classrooms and a gymnasium. Hollydene’s spacious lawns were perfect for outdoor games and garden parties.
 
Over the years, both the campus and student enrolment have expanded. Branksome’s campus now includes more than a dozen buildings, ranging from heritage mansions to modern structures, all linked by state-of-the-art technology.
 
While today’s IB World School is globally-minded and has a diverse student body, Branksome Hall has retained many of its early Scottish traditions.

Branksome Hall

10 Elm Ave, Toronto, ON, Canada
M4W 1N4
Canada. South Korea
Toronto’s only all-girls, all-years, IB World School.
Study abroad in grade 9.